Friday, July 4, 2008

Flag Cupcakes

I'm not really the kind of person to wear my patriotism on my sleeve. I'm more apt to watch 14 hours of John Adams on t.v. (so good!) than wear a flag on a T-shirt. Still, since I was a little girl I've been in LOVE with the summer flag cake. I've never made one before, so for my friend Meera's 4th of July BBQ I knew I had my chance.

I decided to go with mini-cupcakes to make it a finger food. Plus I don't have a giant sheet cake pan....yet. I used a yellow cake mix and made the buttercream frosting. The recipe is on the box of confectioner's sugar and is totally worth it. I love the canned stuff, but homemade just tastes better.


I used blueberries for the stars.


And strawberries for the stripes. I'm pretty happy with it. If it was a sheet cake you could go really nuts with the berries.

Time to go celebrate. HAPPY 4th of JULY!!!!!

No comments: